Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Career Growth.

I have taken strong ownership of my store, and all that happens within it, being a professional manager, while learning how to fulfill my commitments to my store and my position and my people within the McDonald's system and structure.

I model the behaviors of a McDonald's Assistant Manager by offering as much lead-by-example role modeling that I am capable of. I give my all to my store nearly all the time.

I am constantly learning new tasks, practicing the ones I've already learned, and trying to pass along knowledge to the managers in training when they're receptive.

I have started, completed and maintained organization and anti-clutter projects in my store, as well as implemented (amid much skepticism and resistance) comprehensive procedures.

Customers come first, last and always. Good customer service is my primary goal when I'm working and I try to follow the 5 Hospitality Cues all the time. I have some solid skills with customer recovery, turning potential McHaters into loyal customers nearly every day by following the 6 Steps.

I arrive on time, nearly always do everything I need to do (Saturday night's close I left two under-counter drink station trashes overflowing. I didn't even look to see if they needed changing). I'm the man with the plan (Pre-shift plan that is!) and am able to communicate effectively with my team, even when they don't speak the same language as me.

I am able to diagnose problems and find the best-fit solution to them more often than not with a minimum of collaboration or help.

When I am frustrated or confused or unable to find the answer, I have no problem opening up communication to my store manager, my operations manager, the training coordinator or the owner to discuss my difficulty or my problem with them, seeking solutions.

I am doing the very best I can, and giving all my focus while I'm at work (and often when I'm at home and should be focused on my family).

I was just told yesterday that my promotion to Assistant Manager, which was supposed to occur immediately after the current A.M. moves to the newly acquired store (the changeover occurs this Thursday), will be held off until my Advanced Shift Management course, at least - which is mid-May.

I'm trying to decide whether or not my effort is delivering the result expected, and I'm getting damn little information with which to make that decision. If it's not, then ... well, I'm not capable of not delivering full effort, but I'm damn sure not able to allow myself to get the short end of the stick.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't be discouraged. But don't assume, either, that you know everything already. A 1st Assistant should at least have completed ASM before assuming the position, and during his/her tenure as 1st Assistant, should ideally complete EMP.
Realize that there is much more to being a good manager than knowing and enforcing procedures, even if those procedures dictate specific actions that you should take (e.g. Six Steps, Hospitality Cues, etc.).
What you will learn in ASM is not just McDonald's procedures, but also the beginning "soft skills" that make a good manager. You are confident and knowledgeable, and from what I can tell, have a super-strong personality. But have you stopped to think that maybe that puts off some people? A good manager not only knows the business, but also how to effectively, sensitively, and collaboratively deal with the people with whom he/she works on a daily basis.
Keep that in mind, and you will do even better than you do already. Best of luck.

mrschroeder13@gmail.com (Michael Schroeder) said...

I appreciate your advice.

As for the "soft management skills", I've gained and honed many of them in previous stages of my career growth.

I handle scheduling, inventory, inventory control, cleaning of major machines and fixtures, shift planning, problem resolution, innovating ways to grow our skills as a team, and more.

An example of my "soft skills"... Some time ago, a manager was accused of sexual harassment (verbally, not in writing or with a complaint) by a female crew member. Basically there were some inappropriate actions on the manager's part, and the crew member really took them to be more than they were intended. Instead of speaking about it or saying please stop doing that, she basically took an unexcused leave of absence.
I got both parties to sit down and discuss (and listen) to what was going on, and to agree to a resolution.

What could have been a massive lawsuit for my O/O turned into an hour-long conversation that solved the situation thoroughly. In fact, I had it solved before the O/O, Director of Ops or the Store Manager responded to my phone call regarding the situation at hand.

That's one of many conflicts I've resolved, using some solid management skills to the benefit of my team.

The reason I'm not being made Assistant Manager right away, I firmly believe, is because the O/O and Director of Ops want to get the work out of me for my current pay, and are using the classes as an excuse.

As for my super-strong personality, you've got that right. If it puts some off, too bad. Sometimes, and in fact often, bringing the hammer down on fools is what is exactly needed in situations.