Monday, April 14, 2008

Growth.

So in around a week or so I will be the Assistant Manager at my store. I really do feel I've done the job of Assistant Manager for the past few months or so.

In fact, I came into my store doing a better job at being a Shift Manager, more wholly exhibiting the behaviors of a role model, maybe having been short-tempered a few times, and willing to apologize for it (people seem to think I'm too high strung) when I've been wrong. Usually, though, I do feel that if I've increased the volume of my communication to a direct and absolutely clear, resounding level, it's usually been an appropriate reaction in the situation.

In any case, I'm not too high-strung. I'm just exactly high strung enough to be me.

I take care of quite a few areas and particular systems, because it just feels like no one else is following up on them. It's difficult sometimes because even such a basic, simple system as PRE-SHIFT PLANNING gets left behind by nearly all the managers. I am glad to come in and assess the store, check things out and find out about the day. I like communicating with my staff and fellow managers and checking sales projections versus actual sales and taking a guess at how my store will perform that day.

I absolutely revel in setting realistic, achievable goals for the day and for our peak hours. The best part of my day is my first real people travel path when I communicate those goals to each employee.

Really, I can't understand how any manager can not travel around the store, checking the restaurant and equipment and people and product to .. I mean, fuck, PLAN THEIR DAY! I work with many managers who want the store to run itself, and crew to develop themselves and for teams to grow themselves with as little interaction as possible. I on the other hand have a passion to watch all those things, but to help create successes in my store, on my team, and with my crew.

Pedantic as it may sound, I see every satisfied customer as a success for the Brand, and the success of the Brand is something I want to be a part of. It's been an opportunity for men, some greater and some lesser than I, to become successful.

2 comments:

Troubled Manager, Losing their inspiration said...

I am not even sure this is still a working blog, but I stumbled across it while actually looking up information on obtaining my previously attended McD's class certificates, to use in a resume for a new job. I am really struggling in my career with McD's right now. I feel like this post, and a few before this are spot on with what's going on in my store, and I am taking the place as you in those situations. Its been really frustrating for me because I really do care about my job, what it is I work to achieve on a day-to-day or long-term basis. I've been working for McDs for three years, and have been struggling for the last year with crew members and managers alike. And its driven me to the point where I'm looking for another job. Its really upsetting. Your blog gives me back a little bit of the faith I'd lost. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

I wish I can work with the manager with that kind of passion. I work in the kitchen (new staff) for 6 months trained by different part time manager (students - younger than me) lazy, not helpful, only when senior manager is there they pretend to work once he is gone, they leave the kitchen and check on message, chatting! Leave me struggles with orders and keeping my level. They always write comments saying I am not doing my job.I have complained to my senior manager, but it is a waste of time, my words against them! I really love my job and the morning crew, every morning begins to be a drag hoping not to work with the particular manager who picks on me ALL THE TIME. Every things I worked on WILL BE commented, "MUST" this, "HAVE" to, but she never correct herself even I caught her doing it the wrong. I hope, and wish I can get to the right person who can listen from the "bottom" of this big organisation.