Saturday, November 10, 2007

Retrospective: Training Day 2

I spent an 8 hour day taking notes and watching the e-Learning programs on Production. By the end of it, I felt like a certified, trained Production team member.

I learned all about the temperatures the meat and chicken cook at, how to place and remove meat from the grill, the proper procedure for cooking the fried products... How to batch cook! I learned all the sandwiches and the way to assembly them correctly.

Did you know, as an aside, that McDonald's corporation spends hundreds of thousands of dollars and thousands of man-hours each year on ensuring the sandwiches are being built just right, to deliver the perfect flavor profile with each bite? I didn't, but I learned that along the training path of Production.

So, in the middle of my training schedule on that 8 hour day, the store manager of the restaurant I was training at (which has since become my home restaurant) invited me to learn by doing. So we went out into the grill and he showed me how to do a run of hamburger meat, and I sweated over the hot grill, cooking a few batches of hamburger meat. Aside from the literal sweat, it was no figurative sweat at all.

The training for production was engaging, complete, and empowering. I could do it! I had a head full of knowledge! Awesome.

No comments: