Saturday, December 1, 2007

December!

My blog made it through a month! Woo-hoo! Or, if you prefer, "W00t!".

Today was an exceptional day at work, starting December out right. We have a mystery shop sometime this weekend, so we had a huge amount of employees, all putting their best effort and smiles forward.

With 12 people working when we only needed 8 at a maximum, I had an opportunity to get some training done with employees. I'm working on a program to get each and every one of our employees trained on the Foundation training topics. It's not as easy it seems, to coordinate approximately 5 hours for each employee to watch the e-Learning program, review and get the first Station Observation Chart completed, then do a follow-up training session on the floor with them. However, I will get it caught up to the point that new hires can have their Foundation training completed within their first 6 shifts - that's my goal for the end of the first quarter of 2008.

With so many people working today, I was able to get 4, count them, 4!, larger pieces of equipment detail cleaned: our oven, our reach-in fryer-side freezer, and our reach-in kitchen refrigerators. This is on top of large sections of wall/baseboard being cleaned, as well as our front counter menu boards.

Honestly, I barely was on the floor at all today, between coordinating projects for all the extra people to get done and training and then I worked in Drive Thru back booth through our lunch rush. I love getting an opportunity to do nothing but customer transactions. Every other customer tells me "You have such a nice voice!" or "You're so polite! Thanks!" or, once in a while, "You're the best Drive Thru person ever!". I'm not exaggerating. I love that stuff - I know I'm great and love to hear it!

One downside to things right now is that our sales are low - dismally low. We've got absolutely no shopping centers near us! No one is Christmas shopping within two miles of my store while one of the owner's stores is inside the largest shopping mall in town, another is inside of Wal-Mart, and a third is right across the street from that largest shopping mall in town. It's very frustrating for the crew because we're usually just busy enough to be running around a bit short-handed, but not busy enough to include one more person onto the schedule. It's very frustrating as a manager, because I've got people working just a bit harder than they would need to be if we did our projected sales - because if we hit those, we'd be able to get that other person onto the schedule. Cyclical frustrations. I believe it goes with the territory, and so long as the crew are treated great, they'll be willing to work that/much harder to ensure the customers get treated great as well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi I'm a university student in the UK. I am researching on the topic of organisational culture for my business essay and that's how I came across your blog. I'm very impressed to see such an enthusiastic and passionate McD employee as you and that really has changed my view on McD.

I'm sure you must have heard of the McJob petition that (I think) started in May 2007? This is why I chose McD as my research company, as such a petition requires a lot of efforts and clearly it cannot be achieved, in my opinion, solely by the top management teams + CEOs without the support from employees. I'm just curious about what you'd say, if you don't mind, about any changes that you've noticed in the internal culture of McD in the past few years, especially when comparing between the period when McD was still defined by the word 'McDonaldisation' and now. It'd also be great if voices from the production team members can be heard because I totally agree that they deserve a lot more than a low wage with long working hours.

Although this blog-comment-type communication may not be regarded as a proper source of information, I do appreciate if you could provide me with some information so that I can at least convince myself that I've chosen just the right company to show a successful organisational culture.

Thank you very much for your help and hope to hear from you asap! - I'll be checking your blog for that :)

mrschroeder13@gmail.com (Michael Schroeder) said...

Hi Cindy, and thanks for stopping at my blog.

I had never heard of the McJob Petition, honestly. I've used the phrase McJob quite a few times. Within the past two years, I've told at least a couple someones they should give up and go apply for a job at McDonald's, used dirisively. I've told a couple people that recently, in a positive respect. Perceptions change often an individual's, or during the life of any large group or other incorporation of human endeavor (or endeavor of human incorporation, for that matter).

I haven't worked for McDonald's very long, and so can't tell you how the internal culture changed. I wasn't part of that culture.

My interest in McDonald's is as a business endeavor. It is my professional occupation. It's not where I go to socialize, or to meet people, or to interact with (countless) other people for mere seconds at a time. It's not where I go to to learn Spanish. However, all these things occur there for me. But primarily, and the reason I go in every day, is it is my occupation, and one I intend to grow very successful with.

As far as whether or not McDonald's is a successful organization, well... If you mean successful in that many people love the products they serve; there is a phenomenal territory covered by them; many people find great meaning working for them; and some of the most potent lessons an employee can ever learn can be learnt within the establishments, then yes, I believe McDonald's is successful. Oh yeah, and the profits.