Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Labor.

It's very difficult to balance the Labor percentage of a McDonald's store. This is true of every business - the goal is to maximize the profit of a store by minimizing the opportunity of wasted payroll hours. This is almost always somewhere in the neighborhood between 19 and 20%. We overshot that by a good amount in my store last month.

I'm learning that it is especially difficult to balance this Labor in a low volume store. There may only need to be 4 people on any given hours of a shift based upon sales in $, but there are also a set number of jobs that can be performed well by a minimum number of people, and in my opinion the minimum number of people to comfortably run just about any given hour of any shift is 5. There are exceptions - the first and last 2-3 hours of the day. These are easy times, for openers you show up and make coffee for hours. For closers, you clean and hump your ass to clean some more. In either situation, there's not many of customers.

However, during what I like to refer to as "Snack Time", the hours between 2 and 4, we may not be having as much sales dollars - that's mostly because we'll have twice as many customers, ordering a third as much food. Still, it's a lot of transactions and when you sell 50 Doubles and Hot N Spicys in an hour, it may not be as much money as 50 Value Meals during the lunch hour but it is the same amount of work, effectively. It takes as much time to make 10 Doubles as it does to make 10 different types of sandwiches, and each order during Snack Time has more individual sandwiches than each order during Lunch Time.

I wish all people could have some love for McDonald's Employees. I do my best to make sure every customer at the very least thinks I do a good job. There are a large amount of customers for whom I just shine, shine, shine! I like to go for the Wow. Stupid is diverse and populous in the world, however, and some people leave hating me, while I hate them.

A woman came through my Drive Thru during Snack Time today, and took a good 3 minutes to place her whole order, which totaled about $6.00 and was changed no less than 4 times. Meanwhile, a line of about 8 cars grew behind her. She came to my window holding out a bag of coins and said "Count this, it's what I'm paying you." She had a big stack of bills sitting on her lap. I said, "Why don't you pay me with a 5?" Her response was to shove the bag of coins toward me and say "I'm paying with this," So I told her, thank you have a nice day, and I'll buy her food for her. I'd rather explain a $6.00 customer satisfaction manager meal than count out 6 bucks in goddamn coins. Screw that! I told her so.

She told me I was rude and she would call McDonald's on me. I told her the number posted on the window in front of me would get her in touch with the Owner/Operator and I told her my name and explained that I was the only guy who looked like me, and the only Michael there, and could she please move to the next fucking window so I could help the people behind her. She told me no, and folded her arms like a 4-year-old. Finally, I said, as close to verbatim as I can get, "Lady, you're only fucking with the people behind you in line, and the people in the front of the store. Our interaction is done, your food is waiting for you, MOVE. ALONG." Finally after a few more seconds of huffiness she moved on.

Seriously, a bag of coins? What kind of a moron do you have to be to get angry that someone wouldn't fulfill that stupid request? Go to a bank. Spend a Saturday afternoon rolling pennies with your kids. Get one of those old people coin purses and spend it penny by glorious penny and nickel by shiny nickel. I can't believe the friend in her car didn't slap her. I would've.

The best part of my day was that this was the worst part of my day. If I'm alive, and the worst part of my day was when a 5 minute interaction set me behind maybe another 5 minutes, then I can honestly say I'm winning.

There were some phenomenal parts of my day, at least 6 different interactions with people where I felt like I had made a human connection. That's what the day is all about. In fact, looking back, that stupid bag-of-coins lady and I made a human connection as well, merely of a more base sort, less positive.

Addendum: I apologize for the swearing. It felt like a swearing day.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Michael,

I am going back to McDonalds this week after being gone for 7 years. Of all my concerns and worries, dealing with those bastard customers is number 1. Why are people so mean at McDonalds? What jollies do people get from picking on people who are just trying to provide a service for them? I had some nasty run-ins back when I was managing, a few of which made me want to just walk out and never come back. It's sad that people can't act like human beings anymore, and completely take advantage of helpless employees who HAVE to be nice no matter how much abuse they are taking. I for one don't put up with it, and I usually get snippy back. I don't make enough money to stand there and be your abuse slave. Great blog btw, keep it up!

mrschroeder13@gmail.com (Michael Schroeder) said...

The thing is - they are acting like human beings. Human beings as a whole are dirty, conniving, disgusting animals that should never have been allowed to breed, let alone drive cars and interact with other human beings in fiduciary transactions.

The whole world is a matter of a smattering of exception human beings trying to cope with the masses of billions of stupids.

tuscmatt said...

Hey, I know what you mean about labor! I worked for McD's in Tuscaloosa, Ala, for 7 years and was a manager for 5, store manager for one. I worked in all the O/O's stores, some were very busy with low average checks, some were low TC's but they spent $8 apiece, and some were in the middle. It's a lot easier to run a store when it's a busy location rather than slow, contrary to what most people believe!
And as far as bitchy customers go, what does it say about them when they will act so inconsiderately to a fast-food employee? But what does it say about you, as well, when you let them make you mad? Forget about them! Most are really harmless anyway, all bark and no bite, seriously! Cool blog btw keep it up!

mrschroeder13@gmail.com (Michael Schroeder) said...

Thanks -

Why do I let them get me mad? Because I'm a human being too, man!

720R said...

I discovered this blog in my love/hate affair with McD's. I am a consumer in an area of Houston with only 1 McD's, so sometimes the desire for product overcomes the poor customr service.

Reading this entry, I want to say that the saying "You get what you pay for" applies to employees as well as product.

You might spend a little more in the hourly salary, but the bottom line does not reflect the value of what a good employee contributes in productive & efficient labor, manageability, and overall customer service.

Higher expectations of overall performance can be communicated as justified by wage in relation to the norm.

Anonymous said...

19-20% ?! Our store tries to shave it to below 17%. 19 is high. Then again, I have no idea what prices are, how much business differs, and how different the franchise owners are. Minimum wage is also much higher here in the last four years.

Clocking Machine said...

Thanks for sharing this superb post.

Ulfragnar said...

Hah. It's almost impossible to shave my store Labour to 19% and get everything done. It ends up at 21, but only because our TTL times suck and there is never a swing and salary together for closes and no team leaders help to run floors... Too much slacking off on the crew part. Give me tips on keeping crew in line all the time!

Anonymous said...

My friend got fired unfairly at McDonalds recently because her boss received emails in which people talked good about her. She got fired because those emails were made up; however, she did not do it. When my friend went home, she found out that her co-worker was jealous of her and that girl is the one behind the scene. My friend contacted her boss about the girl that harmed my friend. When my friend said that she has technical evidence that show that girl is the one behind the scene, the manager did not listen. And he still keeps the devil.

mrschroeder13@gmail.com (Michael Schroeder) said...

Sounds like personal problems. Step 1 to being a professional is to be a professional.

Unknown said...

The eligible candidates can apply online McDonald’s Recruitment 2018 though the official website.