Thursday, March 27, 2008

Opportunities.

I'm currently being considered for an opportunity with a new store that my O/O is purchasing soon. It changes hands next month, and either myself or a current colleague of mine will become First Assistant Manager at the new store, and the other person will be First Assistant Manager at my current store.

Honestly, I feel that my "competition" is in no way competition to me. I can boast readily of several areas of responsibility I've gotten to function regularly and with all proper procedures in effect. Not every area I've taken on have I been successful with, but I can honestly say at least 10 functionally important procedure-sets were put into place solely because of my direct action and involvement in them.

As far as I know, my competitor has one functionally important responsibility, and is unwilling to do a great job with it. I firmly believe this person is capable of doing a great job at many things, and they are experienced - something like 6 years. She has willingly chosen to perform at an average level and at an average pace for ... well nearly all the time I've seen her in action.

But I have decided that the opportunity I have in the store I'm in is a great opportunity and has a ton of growth left in it! I've got a great team that I'm helping to build, I own my store damnit! I can help improve it a hundredfold over the growth we as a team have already made.

So, tomorrow, I'm telling the owner I want to stay at my current store and that I don't really want to be considered for the position. Although, I truly do want to go to a store with more vocal and communicative managers who are confident in situations. The two other managers who I am certain are going to that store are phenomenal people, and I would love to work on a team with all three of us - it'd be a powerhouse team.

I have alot of growth to go where I am and I intend to experience it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

are you learning to deal with humbleness? Sometimes a person grows more when staying in the same place just learning to play with the cards around them

Anonymous said...

So P is your O/O right? This is the person who, on March 10, you posted about telling them to work on finding your blog?

And now you're informing US about what you're gonna tell HIM/HER before you actually TELL him/her, when she/he might have actually found your blog?

Wow.

mrschroeder13@gmail.com (Michael Schroeder) said...

Yes Nicole13, I'm working on some humility.

Anonymous - yes. I still haven't spoken to P. but to the Operations Manager - just giving my feedback on the situation and what may come as a solution or result.

I use this blog personally, not professionally, as, partly, a coping tool for a very turbulent period of my life, with lots of growth in a new environment (one I was away from for a long time, at least).

If P were to read what I was planning on telling him before I get the opportunity to tell him, that's fine. It's feedback and my opinion, not a negotiating tool, as I see it. No reason for it to be some ... secret.