Sunday, March 30, 2008

Teaching.

Tomorrow, very early, I am training K., a manager-in-training who happens to be the O/O's relation. He's a hell of an individual, and seems to be able to hang in many situations. I've not seen him giving direction to anyone yet, but he and I have discussed accountability together.

In fact, I created a situation that was almost a way of testing his behaviors - I sat down and ate right as he was getting a rush through Drive Thru. I waited till he had 3 orders on screen, then got up and helped - and told him that I was examining his behaviors - I sat down and ate to see how he'd react. He didn't communicate what was going on where he was, he saw the situation but did not make a reaction to it (the situation being, I was sitting down with someone on break when I should have been helping him with orders). I felt like a dick, but he really did seem to, at the least, look at a likely and frequent scenario with a different perspective.

Tomorrow, it's straight teaching and showing for our shake machine training. Like every day, it's going to be a great day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heh, I hate working with those who are related to the owner. At the main store he has his kids and his wife's friends working (one a weak manager). At another he has his daughters boyfriend working. They always keep from themselves, as if they are too good to be intermingling with us common folk... Good luck with your training!

PapaScott said...

The owner's family is something you have to put up with working in franchise. I should know... in our store I'm the owner's husband. :-)

Our son is only 8, so we don't have him in management yet. But he can fold Happy Meal boxes, clean the playland, and has even presented in drive-thru once or twice. (Don't tell the child-labor authorities.)